Saturday, April 30, 2016

Hope in the Land by Olivia Newport

I enjoyed this book about the Depression Era in the United States in a community with Amish and non-Amish.  It was interesting to see the two neighbors as they worked through their troubles during this period.  An agent, Henry, comes to make a report on both production and consumption and it is interesting to see the production of all needed home products and foods that the Amish family did on their own.  This kind of self-sufficiency is very admirable.

I thought perhaps the book started out a bit slow but then it might be fitting for the time period and lifestyles that were depicted in this era.  As the book progressed I was able to develop an understanding of the characters and their various predicaments.  It was a good read.

I have not read the works of this author previous to this but feel I would probably enjoy other books she has written.

I received an ebook copy of this book from NetGalley for review.

No comments:

Post a Comment