Wednesday, September 14, 2016

The Alliance of Isian by Serena Clarke (Audible Version)

I have just finished listening to another Audible book.  The Alliance of Isian was such a great story!  I loved the narration and being able to listen to it on my phone as I was doing other things.

The narrator Carolyn Kashner did a great job of bringing these characters to life.

My Review:


This book by Serena Clarke is a story of two kingdoms in what appears to me to be a medieval time setting during times of attacks from enemy kingdoms, a time of one kingdom seeking to gain power over the other.

Two royals of enemy kingdoms find themselves in an arranged marriage to bring together unity between their kingdoms. Gabrielle, the princess, who is also a very strong character in this book, is from Isian. In this kingdom magic is used for good. However, her new husband, Alec, the Tandorian, does not find this something tolerable. There are many differences in the kingdoms, both socially and in their customs and as Gabrielle and Alec work through their "Alliance" their two kingdoms must do so as well. This is not always with smooth sailing as spies and secret enemy plans try to cause this alliance to fail.

While I am not usually a fantasy reader, I did relate to the characters as they try to overcome the trials that they experience. The enemies often are in the form of magical creatures which cause destruction to their kingdoms and people. Gabrielle and Alec do not always see eye to eye and these conflicts cause some mistrust. In order for the kingdoms to unite and work together, it will first be necessary for their royalty to unite. How and will this indeed happen?

I enjoyed reading this book and reading a new "for me" genre. And I was happy that I read it because although fantasy, the characters faced real life issues and therefore made it easy for me to relate to their situations. I am sure that I will enjoy reading further books of this author's as well.

A very interesting and captivating read.

Disclaimer: I was given a copy of this Audible book for my honest review, which I have given. No monetary payment was received.

No comments:

Post a Comment