Sunday, April 27, 2014

The Last Bride by Beverly Lewis

The first Amish book that I ever read was The Bridesmaid by Beverly Lewis.  I purchased that book at Wal-Mart in the fall of 2012 as I prepared to take a trip to Poland.  I had a long lay-over and was traveling alone.  I needed something to read.  I grabbed this book off the shelf and it grabbed me back!  Beverly had me at "Wunderbar gut!"

So it was no surprise that when the local library sent me a little note that among the new books, was the title The Last Bride by Beverly Lewis that I hurried right down to pick that one up!

And it didn't disappoint. I read it in a couple of days, and that is fast for me, what with all the hours at work, and the other grandma duties that I had to fulfill on Saturday.  Here's a little about this book.  I am sure you will agree that it is a great book.  Beverly Lewis always seems to come up with a great story-line.

The main person in the book is Tessie Miller, the last of her family of sisters that is yet to marry.  She has her heart set on Marcus King and the two secretly date as Tessie's father does not want her to be with Marcus.  No matter what they do, he does not change his mind and the unhappy couple takes matters into their own hands.  They decided to elope and not have the traditional large family and church Amish wedding.  But as they marry and return to their respective homes, an event occurs that changes all the plans of future happiness together. 

As Tessie faces the Church and family, she realizes that her actions will cause a possible excommunication from the Church.  Despite the great sadness at the events that have transpired, Tessie tries to carry on with her life.  She has a supportive family for the most part and they see each other through the times ahead.  Will Tessie realize happiness again in her life or will past sins devour that happiness? 

This is a wonderful book and one of real-life problems and resolution, family, community and love, the most important factor.  A great book!

No comments:

Post a Comment