Thursday, September 25, 2014

The Amish Bride of Ice Mountain by Kelly Long

I received this book from the publisher Kensington books.  It was a really different take on Amish fiction then what I have been reading in the past.  The book grabbed me from page one.

Mary is an Amish woman living in what is considered the Mountain Amish community.  It appears that they are perhaps quite different than the Amish I have learned about in other regions, such as Lancaster.

In this book, Mary becomes acquainted with Jude, a professor who is studying the Amish mountain people on Ice Mountain.  They have some romantic encounters and are forced by her father to marry, although their encounters were very simple kisses.

After their marriage, they remain celibate and return to Jude's home, where many difficult interactions with Jude's father occur.  And with some misunderstandings, Mary returns under the guise of homesickness.  The book is very engaging and I enjoyed the storyline, but was surprised by a little more physical tension between the two than I had before read in an Amish book.  I kind of tend to lean towards the less "physical" types of Amish writings.  That was my only reservation on the book, other than this, I thought is was very good.

You can find a complete list of Kelly Long's books here.

Disclosure:  I received this book from the publisher for my honest review, which I have given.

No comments:

Post a Comment