Thursday, April 27, 2017

Amish Wanderer by Laura V. Hilton

This was the first book I have read from this author.  It was a different scenario than many/most of the Amish books that I have read.  It has real intensity and was emotionally charged.  As the relationship between Bethany and Silas grows, they struggle with the lingering and frightening after-effects of their dis-functional family lives.

Life had been not what either had expected and certainly not wanted.  There are several parts of the books with real teaching moments.  I think the one that struck me the deepest was the part about going through the Refiner's fire and the "parable" used to explain that to a no longer trusting Bethany.  Very good!

There was a small issue that I kept noticing, that being because I am bi-lingual and speak and read German.  As such, the use of the word "nein" or "no" in German was used often and in high German this word is usually used to answer a question, yes or no, rather than being used as I have "no" money.  In this context another German word would be used.  But I am not an expert on the Amish German context so I could be wrong about how it is used in their culture.

All in all, I  loved the book and am glad to have read it.  It keeps you turning the pages!

No comments:

Post a Comment