Saturday, January 5, 2019

The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris

I purchased this book from Costco.  It was the story of Lale, a Jewish man doing all he could to keep alive in Auschwitz.  I realized that it was based on a true story of this man.  I kept wondering which parts were fiction and which weren't.  I was pretty captivated for the most part with the book, being as my mom, aunt and grandmother were in two camps during WWII in Strakonice and Novy Kestrany.  A lot of the story hit home, although my mother was not Jewish, rather Christian.

Lale definitely had a position that appears to have given him more privileges than most.  I found that very interesting.  Having been to both Auschwitz and Birkenau in past years, I put my memories of it together with this book.  It made it more real in my mind.  I didn't like the cursing used throughout the book and could have done well without it.  I realize that people in the book were of the sort that would use the language, but having my own family experiences written down, I know that it could have been done without also.


No comments:

Post a Comment