Saturday, January 14, 2017

Katharina and Martin Luther by Michelle DeRusha

This book was especially fascinating to me, for several reasons.  First, I am a German genealogist, and having done my own family research find connections to the Luther family through one of my lines.  As a result, I too, did a lot of research on Martin Luther.  I also had many ancestors from the province of Sachsen, where the book and the lives of this couple took place, who were pastors in the Lutheran church.  Through my own research, I found that many of my Lutheran pastor ancestors knew Martin Luther, befriended him and experienced some of the trials of the Reformation, as did he.

So that being said, I was amazed at the amazing research that must have been required for this book.  It was really so interesting to see what type of lives the monks and the nuns had and experienced.  And what a remarkable and strong man Martin Luther was to so strongly work to bring about religious reform and freedoms.

A remarkable book and I feel so fortunate to have been able to read this.

I received a copy of this book from NetGalley for my honest review, which I have given.

No comments:

Post a Comment