Saturday, February 27, 2016

Promise Lodge by Charlotte Hubbard

This new series by Charlotte Hubbard promises to be an enjoyable one.  I was surprised how openly and honestly the problem of abuse was dealt with in Amish circles and how women's roles were depicted in a similarly honest and frank manner.  I think sometimes we see their lives and peaceful, happy and religious in every way.  It was good to read that life is not always rosy for them, either.

After trials in the Coldstream settlement, Rosetta and Mattie find an old abandoned camping area and lodge and decide to start their own settlement taking along some family and friends to help them start out.  Noah, whose mother Mattie makes plans for the new settlement comes with her having been disappointed by his fiance and needs to find peace in his life again.

His biggest surprise is when Deborah appears at Promise Lodge also wanting a new start for reasons not clear to Noah.

This book was really different than other Amish books I have read.  It was a refreshing and honest view of their lives, showing that they, too, have problems to deal with and to overcome.  As the group of new settlers come to realize their dreams, twists and turns are not yet gone from life and they learn that together, as community and friends they become stronger.

I know that I will be anxiously awaiting book 2 in this series.  I highly recommend this book!

I received a copy of this book from the Publisher for my honest review which I have given.


No comments:

Post a Comment